***do you remember louise dean and shiva???***

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

muzzkhan

Feb 6, 2006
Do any of you guys on here remember Shiva??? Or indeed Louise Dean???

It was quite a while ago and I'm not sure how many of you WILL remember, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on this....

Louise Dean was from Huddersfield and the lead singer of a house group called Shiva. They were massive up north during the mid 90's - albeit briefly....

They'd only managed to release two singles before Louise was tragically killed in a hit and run accident. She had so much more to give and had an unbelievable voice.

I'm only 26 now. But in 1995, when she died, I was 13. It really struck a chord with me. I'd loved Shiva's singles up until that point. As a teenager, I was really saddened by her death and quite upset. I was always said to myself that if I ever became a DJ, or promoter or whatever, that I'd always do SOMETHING to pay my respects to her and to Shiva.

I never thought that'd happen.

Fast forward 13 years and I helped a friend to christen the name of a new night of his in London - at the Canvas nightclub (what used to be called Bagley's). We called it Shiva.

We've had two parties before the one coming up in November - but up until now, I haven't mentioned Louise because I needed to find the right time to let people know. I never wanted this to be done in bad taste. Time does go by and people do forget - but I'm a firm believer in reminiscing and commemorating.

Because I'll be DJing at the one in November and playin' all of Shiva's tunes - I felt it appropriate to let everyone know about Louise now.

I'm a northerner (from Burnley), so I guess it was inevitable that I'd know about Shiva - as they were from nearby Huddersfield, but in London not many people WOULD know. And, I don't think they do down here in the big smoke.

So, for me, I wanted to pick the right time and to do any commemorating respectfully. I've posted this on here to reach out to any of the old-skool heads from back in the day, who remember her and Shiva.

[see link in meetups for more info on this event]

Kind regards,

Muzz Khan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Albertryder

Michie

VIP Silver Member
Jul 5, 2007
Stoke
Thats so nice :) Loved 'work it out and Freedom', its so sad that she was taken so early in her life.She had such a unique voice. We were only talking about her the other day as it seemed that there were alot of DJ's and artists who died around the same time - wildchild and Kemistry.
RIP Louise and good luck with the night xx

muzzkhan

Feb 6, 2006
Thanks for your feedback, guys.....

I'm tryin' to get in touch with the original members of 'Shiva', too - to let them know what I'm doing.....

I'm hoping to get their blessing.

If any of you guys know how to get hold of them or indeed have any pictures or videos of Shiva and/or Louise Dean - please get in touch. I'd love to see them....

Dj M Jaxx

Oct 12, 2001
YORK UK
www.myspace.com
Very nice touch m8, hope your night build into a great night, and something good can help a name stay alive

All the very best to you, and what your doing

Great to have you on the Osa,......welcome

Jaxx :thumbsup:

betty spaghetti

Nov 21, 2006
Thats so nice :) Loved 'work it out and Freedom', its so sad that she was taken so early in her life.She had such a unique voice. We were only talking about her the other day as it seemed that there were alot of DJ's and artists who died around the same time - wildchild and Kemistry.
RIP Louise and good luck with the night xx

plus Ali Cooke

And Matt Stevens...

I am speaking to you from beyond the grave, Shooms, via Derek Okura and his faithful sidekick - Sam (Thank you, Sam)

I can feel a resurrection coming on...

May even change my haircut as a result...

Mint :thumbsup: :rofl: :rofl:

likedionne

Jun 28, 2009
i know louise deans mum

hello there just read your post rom 2 years ago.

i dont know if u still use this, but if u do, im sure her mother would like to know what u have done in memory of her daughter

get in touch

thanks dionne x

dianeleeds

Oct 27, 2009
regarding louise dean (nee gooch)

Louise Dean as you knew her was Louise Gooch to me she wasnt from huddersfield she was originally
from Armley Leeds i miss her everyday we grew up together and were naughty lol r i p my old pal never forgotten

Karen2693

Nov 13, 2009
I think what you did was really nice. I remeber Shiva (I must be about 2 years older than you) and I remember when Louise Dean died. Every time I hear Freedom I think about that, it was so sad.

DanHarper

Mar 31, 2021
I remember Louise, lived near me in Huddersfield in the mid 90's.

Just dropped "Freedom" in my latest mix. Still sounds amazing, cant believe its knocking on 26 years old!

Albertryder

Jul 10, 2019
Do any of you guys on here remember Shiva??? Or indeed Louise Dean???

It was quite a while ago and I'm not sure how many of you WILL remember, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on this....

Louise Dean was from Huddersfield and the lead singer of a house group called Shiva. They were massive up north during the mid 90's - albeit briefly....

They'd only managed to release two singles before Louise was tragically killed in a hit and run accident. She had so much more to give and had an unbelievable voice.

I'm only 26 now. But in 1995, when she died, I was 13. It really struck a chord with me. I'd loved Shiva's singles up until that point. As a teenager, I was really saddened by her death and quite upset. I was always said to myself that if I ever became a DJ, or promoter or whatever, that I'd always do SOMETHING to pay my respects to her and to Shiva.

I never thought that'd happen.

Fast forward 13 years and I helped a friend to christen the name of a new night of his in London - at the Canvas nightclub (what used to be called Bagley's). We called it Shiva.

We've had two parties before the one coming up in November - but up until now, I haven't mentioned Louise because I needed to find the right time to let people know. I never wanted this to be done in bad taste. Time does go by and people do forget - but I'm a firm believer in reminiscing and commemorating.

Because I'll be DJing at the one in November and playin' all of Shiva's tunes - I felt it appropriate to let everyone know about Louise now.

I'm a northerner (from Burnley), so I guess it was inevitable that I'd know about Shiva - as they were from nearby Huddersfield, but in London not many people WOULD know. And, I don't think they do down here in the big smoke.

So, for me, I wanted to pick the right time and to do any commemorating respectfully. I've posted this on here to reach out to any of the old-skool heads from back in the day, who remember her and Shiva.

[see link in meetups for more info on this event]

Kind regards,

Muzz Khan.
Yes I have a couple of shiva tracks - first heard big epic one off a John digweed mix tape from 1995 ( GU boxed if not mistaken with Ian Ossia @ De Ja Vu ) ‘we will work it’ was the lyric out I think - fos and morales remixes.

Bought both few months back as lot of tunes featured now pretty cheap, apart from Chrome - Fixation