Do you like Graffiti???

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Mr Radish

Staff member
Mar 27, 2007
Movin' on up.
Simple tagging is the equivalent of a dog cocking it's leg at a lamp post and mindless vandalism.:naughty: It's not cool, it's just damages peoples property, looks a mess and upsets people.:naughty: :naughty: :mad:

I think graffiti is ok and sometimes is very talented, but only in the right place.

People who spray tags on signs in memorial gardens, on historic buildings, houses or businesses. . . .well get to feck I say.:mad:

I do enjoy seeing real graffiti art in an area which is suitable as in good cases it can improve or add to the local enviroment.:thumbsup:

There is a tagger in Manchester called FYM and I would love him to be shot at dawn.

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
i love it!

same reasons as chris realy in the right place its amazing stuff spesh on derelict warehouses and outbuildings and such like.....

but when its defacing memorials etc thats overstepping the mark!

i cant stand the stuff thats on the back seats of busses or on lamp posts like "i woz ere" and just simple names sprayed on shop fronts etc ffs.....think of something a bit more creative!

but i love the stuff you see in the bronx and in american films which is just realy good artwork, like huge portraits and colourful names and patterns etc.....

i love banksy's stuff but would you realy call that graffiti??

smart_e_plants

Jun 16, 2008
SmedRock
hear what you about the defacing of memorials, churches ect. Plain wrong. I have to admit as a yoot i did vandalise buses and trains simply to get my name about. Walls tend to be less mobile than public transport ha ha. ALso i had the excuse of being a minor.

I remember Ezee, myself and a few others spending cold nights on train lines drinking thunder bird poison and bombing the life out of any available space. Best days of my life. Even pips my time as a DJ to the top spot.

urbnfabrik.com

check it out, it's not all taggin its mainly commisioned peices now.:cops:

smart_e_plants

Jun 16, 2008
SmedRock
Damn just realised ive known EZEE since we met through graffiti back in 1987!!!

Thats 22 years ago ffs...

Still remember him with a boom box and a kangol (No fat gold chain, we were in Smethwick not the bronx ha ha)

smart_e_plants

Jun 16, 2008
SmedRock
i love it!

same reasons as chris realy in the right place its amazing stuff spesh on derelict warehouses and outbuildings and such like.....

but when its defacing memorials etc thats overstepping the mark!

i cant stand the stuff thats on the back seats of busses or on lamp posts like "i woz ere" and just simple names sprayed on shop fronts etc ffs.....think of something a bit more creative!

but i love the stuff you see in the bronx and in american films which is just realy good artwork, like huge portraits and colourful names and patterns etc.....

Banksy uses stensils which was a big NO NO back in the day. Have to say though i think he's wicked too...

etc.....

Definition
graffiti Show phonetics
noun , plural noun
words or drawings, especially humorous, rude or political, on walls, doors, etc. in public places:
The subway walls are covered in graffiti.

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

Banksy is deffinately 100% graff...

I go to school with a few graff artists...and they are deffinately artists. Obviously there is a rebelious side to graff ("tagging" ur name on a bus seat etc) but this isn't all that it's about. Although, there is deffinately elements of art of all kinds that rebel and challenge current thought-that are controversial and provocative... so where does the vandalism then become art??? the lines are quite blurred, and it depends who is the observer also. I love good graff-im going to have a go over this summer-got myself some top paints n some good people to help me on my way-not gonna do it somewhere that is on top tho...can't be arsed getting arrested lol...

Attachments

• henry%20chalfant.jpg
    henry%20chalfant.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 692
  • wildstyle-gf575.jpg
    wildstyle-gf575.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 637

simzzzz

yeah i know Urbanfabrik cool web site

me mates from MCA are back painting after a 15 year break lol, Media, Jem and Sane.:thumbsup: here's their flickr photos, loads old skool rave banners too Flickr: sayneone's Photostream

I was at the Hockley flyer over jam 2 weeks ago watching them paint. :thumbsup: loads old skool heads turned out, Cryse, Zuki, Mef, Kem, Zed, Flake etc..:king:

its made an amazing come back and is as big as it ever was back in the 80's:king: :cool:

simzzzz

Love Graffiti me :love: Lee, Mode 2, Dondi, Futura ... ...

re the books (bibles) Subway Art, Spray Can Art, That film, All the classic pics are by this bloke:

Henry Chalfant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :cool:

the new Subway art 25 years edition has just came out. its a bigger large format book with 70 unrealsed new paintings. henry chalfant and martha cooper the kings of old skool graf photos :king: Subway Art (Street Graphics / Street Art): Amazon.co.uk: Martha Cooper, Henry Chalfant: Books

shazza

VIP Silver Member
Nov 30, 2007
bootle liverpool
probly same oppinion as everyones said already :) deffo artistic and beautifully done sometimes, in the right places :thumbsup:
someone near where I live just sprays " I LOVE U CRANK " everywhere and that pisses me off :mad: