Decky-techy helpy pleasey. ha.

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now
Hi everyone, hope you're all grand?

Basically...getting some decks in a few weeks.

I am getting -

Technics 1210s, from which I want to use a mixture of vinyl and traktor (which I will run off my macbook pro).

I want some KRK RP5s (for space saving situations). I am well aware they're production monitors, but I am only using them in my house, and want to 'true' sound for recording some mixes. I like the price too.

Basically...I need to know what I will need to link everything together (eg - cables, a sound card)...and will I need an amp to power decks (the reason I wanted active speakers was because of the no amp sitch).

Also, whats the best way to mount them (stands/tables/bookcases from ikea on their side-which someone did a bit back lol).

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

xxx

ilovepiano

Jul 9, 2002
You won't need an amp if you're using those (or any other) active monitors.

I just checked those monitors and depending on the outputs from your mixer, you'll either use a regular phono (RCA) connector from the master out to the monitors, or, if your mixer has the right outputs, use balanced TRS (1/4 inch jack) or XLR cables. These drastically reduce any noise.

I don't know about hooking up Traktor though as I've never used it.

I guess the Macbook will have an audio input for recording mixes so I doubt you'll have splash out on an external sound card or anything. Your mixer should have two or more outputs - master / booth / record so I would run one output to the monitors and one of the others to the laptop for recording, save you swapping cables all the time.

Hope that helps. :)

Superdan

Staff member
Jun 2, 2004
Still Here
www.youtube.com
I guess the Macbook will have an audio input for recording mixes so I doubt you'll have splash out on an external sound card or anything. Your mixer should have two or more outputs - master / booth / record so I would run one output to the monitors and one of the others to the laptop for recording, save you swapping cables all the time.

Hope that helps. :)

yeah, you should be reet loz as you aint got fookin windows 7 on a laptop, bloody garbage for recording

Loz - if you are getting Traktor Scratch Pro (assume you are as you were talking about using yer 1210 with it) then you've got 2 options:

Buy the complete Traktor Scratch Pro set (Audio 8 soundcard / Trakky sw & timecoded vinyl) - you can use this with any mixer & you don't need an additional soundcard into your Mac as the Audio 8 will go straight in via USB)

Buy a Traktor certified mixer (there are several) - this means that you don't need the Audio8 as the soundcard is built into the mixer... & you can hardwire direct into your Mac via USB again.

So... a free choice of mixer but having to use the audio8 & the trakky double leads (can get messy) or a Trakky certified mixer BUT it's neater & will save you the cost of the Audio8 :)

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
Or buy at the very least a 2 in 2 out soundcard, Native instruments Audio 4, 6 or 8 as shooms said
or any recognised alternative like the Numark DJIO or SterioIO STEREO|iO Analog-To-Digital DJ Interface
with inputs for the decks.

With these you can then use ANY mixer. Stand alone external soundcards give the greatest flexibility. Unquestioned.

BUT..
If i was starting again, this badboy would be number 1 on my wants list, the bangs per buck on this mixer are unreal!
DJ Tech - X10 2-Channel USB Mixer - Turntablelab.com

Built in soundcard, USB out to the laptop, two USB's in for ANY future MIDI controller upgrades, so that's a pair of X1's,or a pair of any pad controller like Midifighters, a pair of MIDI cdj's a pair of MIDI jog wheels/ tempo sliders, or absolutely any combination of any of the above.
(You might think you wont be in to controlerism, but you'll be surprised how quick you will outgrow using just the two turntables and start itching for better ways to control the shizz that Traktor is capable of)

And of course its a good old analogue mixer to boot. No laptop? No problem, this works with the decks conventionally if the lappy crashes.

well...I think I understand. I also think Ive just got some decks...yaaaaay. Cheers Shooms for the heads up RE mark crowther.

Need -

A mixer

Headphones

Needles

Some of those deck stand/bookshelves from Ikea hahahaha.

If anyone knows any going/someone has for sale that might be good - nothing too pricey please - I am actually gonna skint myself so I can have decks as it is hahahaha.

I'm a bit confused about what I need RE traktor/soundcard. Ive got the software, just need the timecoded vinyl...and then 'the other bits' :confused: hahahaha. I'll work it out I'm sure.

Honestly, can not wait to get back to basics and get some good vinyl on the go. If I do use traktor...it will be with Wav files where possible.

xxx

U31

Dec 18, 2007
Kiss me brown eye
On the lappy i use 320Kbps Mp3 files, they sound just as good and take up a third of the space of WAVs
But all my original rips are in WAV on an external drive, i use Switch Soundfile Converter to make them in to Mp3's as and when i want the tunes on the lappy..

Any more questions on Traktor, feel free to fire away