Cooking...

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
The meat Vs. veg thread got me thinking...

Are you creative? Do you make different things and like to experiment? Or are you not very adventurous? Are you a good cook?

I was thinking coz I've been getting recipes out of magazines etc for a while now and when I went shopping on Monday I decided to make a few of the things I'd got recipes for and that i'd not made before...

So, Monday I made a leg of lamb which was lovely! I'd made roasties etc before, just never the actual roast lamb... Lol.

Tues I made toad in the hole which went ok although I needed a bit more oil (followed recipe but sausages were too good quality so not very fatty. Will do better next time).

Weds I made a delicious homemade veg soup with courgettes, sweet potato, peppers, tomato etc. YUMMY!

And Thurs I made this salmon, green bean, tomato thing with rice that's been lovely too. Never made rice before which is random as I do cook, just obv never eat rice lol.

I've got some chicken thing for tomorrow and really looking forward to making it! :)

I'm liking this 'make something new' week, going well so far and going to do it more often. I enjoy cooking and seem to be doing pretty well, would love to go on a cookery course! :) Has anyone done one?

x

Sheikh Yerbouti

Jan 4, 2008
Some**** Somewhere in Summertime
:love: :D

Nice one Sonz :cool:

Cooking's ace :D I always enjoy it, messing about coming up with different combinations & stuff. I'm not very good mind. Never been to any classes, athough I'd deffo be up for that. Just to learn the basic techniques & how to do sauces and stuff. Sky's the limit then.

Problem i have is lack of time/energy during the week. And I don't have a dishwasher so doing all the pots by hand is a PITA. Especially if you're only cooking for yersen.

Now that you've done rice, if you've never tried it have a bash at making risotto sometime. It's lovely and you can make it with anything you've got lying about. It takes a bit of practice to get it right, but once you've cracked it it's comfort food heaven :D

Now the good weather's here it's time to put the slow cooker away & get the steamer out. Next thing I wanna learn is how to make curry properly... combining & cooking all the spices etc :thumbsup:

Amelie

Sep 6, 2003
I love cooking- really love it. I don't know why- i grew up in a house where food was viewed really as just fuel. My mum went a bit bonkers when i was about 7 so my dad took over the cooking. He kinda does weird combo's like beef stew with pasta shells and like them potato smily faces. Sometimes they have frozen pies and my dad has the inners and my mum the outers, with something like savory rice:confused: . When i left home at 15 i started cooking for myself and others from the off- i will confess to being a bit of a feeder- Jonno's friend says i am like a Jewish mother! I deffo see it as my role to make sure everyone is well fed with good food in our house.

I tend to mix what i do- both using books (which we have loads of- our bedroom is crammed with towers of cookery books) and inventing stuff. My latest sucess is a chicken tarragon dish that i make with like a white wine and cream sauce with mash on the top. I have also been making a great steak sarny from a Rachel Allen book- it has an amazing salsa with it and it takes mins to make.

I try to get the kids involved with cooking- though the little ones are just a bit too young at the mo. We made ginger bisc's yesterday- both Fred and Jemima sit on the side and take turns to pour in the ingredients. I have learned not to care what it ends up like when the kids are involved- its the doing it that is the fun. They love licking the bowl and spoon and shit. My daughter Daisy and I made tea together the other day which was a great way of spending time together on our own. She made the meatballs and i made a spicy tom sauce.

We are about to have a new kitchen in the house, and i have been dreaming of how it is going to be for ages. I want everything above waist height to be on open shelves that i can just grab.

Infact i am gonna stop there, just read this post back and i am boring myself. Soz everyone- i have had very little sleep and i really do need to get out more:condom:

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
Now that you've done rice, if you've never tried it have a bash at making risotto sometime. It's lovely and you can make it with anything you've got lying about. It takes a bit of practice to get it right, but once you've cracked it it's comfort food heaven :D
Totally forgot I've made risotto rice!!! :) Risotto is one of my fave things to make, although if I'm feeling healthy I tend not to put much cheese/wine in. :$ I think my cooking style is rather Italian though, I love a really nice tuna salad with balsamic dressing, sometimes I have that with a sweet potato for ease. Pasta sauces, risotto etc. :)

Jonno's friend says i am like a Jewish mother! I deffo see it as my role to make sure everyone is well fed with good food in our house.
When I went to Israel, every time we went to any of her relatives houses, they whipped up some lovely culinary delight. Lol. We went round to her Safta (Grandma)'s and my mate was saying "we won't eat before we go because she ALWAYS insists I eat" and what dya know, she made us some wonderful food. Her homemade couscous was delicious!! :love:

I tend to mix what i do- both using books (which we have loads of- our bedroom is crammed with towers of cookery books) and inventing stuff. My latest sucess is a chicken tarragon dish that i make with like a white wine and cream sauce with mash on the top. I have also been making a great steak sarny from a Rachel Allen book- it has an amazing salsa with it and it takes mins to make.

I try to get the kids involved with cooking- though the little ones are just a bit too young at the mo. We made ginger bisc's yesterday- both Fred and Jemima sit on the side and take turns to pour in the ingredients. I have learned not to care what it ends up like when the kids are involved- its the doing it that is the fun. They love licking the bowl and spoon and shit. My daughter Daisy and I made tea together the other day which was a great way of spending time together on our own. She made the meatballs and i made a spicy tom sauce.

We are about to have a new kitchen in the house, and i have been dreaming of how it is going to be for ages. I want everything above waist height to be on open shelves that i can just grab.

Infact i am gonna stop there, just read this post back and i am boring myself. Soz everyone- i have had very little sleep and i really do need to get out more:condom:
Lol. I liked reading it. That's how I feel about cooking. It brings people together, it's a good thing!

I'm trying out new recipes so hopefully I can learn new techniques to try and just whip something up! I'm not Nigella or anything yet but I would love to get to the stage that I can just make something fantastic out of what appears to be nothing. :D Starting to get there now coz Butty is poo at that and I can always find something to make us so it's good that he's not got 'the vision' lol. :love:

Defo need to get some cookery books but google is ace, made some meatballs with sauce the other week from something I found on Google! :thumbsup:

x

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
I love cooking, esp when you have someone to cook for!

I did a bit of carribean cooking last wk end, i made Hot Hot king prawn and potato Curry with fragrant basmati and that was delish, then i did a carribean pot roast with potatos and carrots tasted lovely but was very filling.

The next one i want to make is Antigan chicken with pineapple and coconut creme bruilee for desert mmm mmmm :thumbsup:

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
I like cooking for/with someone I love, but I rarely cook extravagantly just for me, in fact, i try to avoid havng a big meal for dinner...and eat out during the day so cooking is rarely on the agenda. I'd like to cook more though in the future.

I like cooking for/with someone I love, but I rarely cook extravagantly just for me, in fact, i try to avoid havng a big meal for dinner...and eat out during the day so cooking is rarely on the agenda. I'd like to cook more though in the future.

^^ that's me...

I absolutely love cooking & treating people & I love being creative & trying out new schizz... but it's wasted just for me...

It'd be like lighting scented candles for a wank.

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
^^ that's me...

I absolutely love cooking & treating people & I love being creative & trying out new schizz... but it's wasted just for me...

It'd be like lighting scented candles for a wank.

haha...thats it isn't it, it depends how much pride and time you want to personally invest in cooking/wanking.

So whats a regular dinner for you shooms?

I have to have desert with everything.

haha...thats it isn't it, it depends how much pride and time you want to personally invest in cooking/wanking.

So whats a regular dinner for you shooms?

I'm fuckin' terrible... never have anything 'in', never do a big shop... I sorta eat to day which can be good coz at least I'm buying fresh... I tend to pop into the shops after work & buy what takes my fancy there & then (which can be a double edged sword)... I try & buy a bag of salad & have a fresh piece of fish, prawns or meat to go with it with a nice dressing... but have been known (on many occasion :$ ) to buy pre-cooked shite :$ :$ And chocolate. Yes chocolate :$ :$ :$

nics

Oct 5, 2004
im like herpes....never quite fcuk hoff!!!
cooking for 1 is absolute shite thats why i used to have friends over n cook for them etc, also used to love going to my mums over the weekend and jut throwing stuff together and it would end up ace and spesh cooking a full sunday roast for the fambo!!

its even better living with somebody now, getting to learn what their fave meals are etc and the way they cook etc, he would cook things diffo to what i would and it would be the same meal if ya get me drift.

at the mo im going through a chinese ish phaze and the wok is my new best friend.........love the flavours, just throw diffo stuff together, all the diffo veg and sauces

ive been brought up to know how to cook good food, but with an irish and yugoslavian background everybody gets over fed:|

im not a lover of fish but would love to cook a realy nice fish dish for friends and id also love to master making a good cheese n onion pie from scratch.......not very adventurous but its something i wana do:condom:

i love making diffo currys and experimenting wth asian food and the spices are lush.

li'l Sonz

Apr 27, 2005
Manchester
www.myspace.com
You don't have to cook a big meal to cook. Sometimes I go for a nice salad option or just a baked sweet potato if I'm feeling lazy, but I'm enjoying trying out new things and getting to grips with different flavours etc.

Before NY, this is something I never realised about you. And also something about me.... I thought I had a bit of a sweet tooth at times but you lurve a birrov desert!! :)

ive been brought up to know how to cook good food, but with an irish and yugoslavian background everybody gets over fed:|
Just like jewish families then! :) x

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
I'm fuckin' terrible... never have anything 'in', never do a big shop... I sorta eat to day which can be good coz at least I'm buying fresh... I tend to pop into the shops after work & buy what takes my fancy there & then (which can be a double edged sword)... I try & buy a bag of salad & have a fresh piece of fish, prawns or meat to go with it with a nice dressing... but have been known (on many occasion :$ ) to buy pre-cooked shite :$ :$ And chocolate. Yes chocolate :$ :$ :$

Thats EXACTLY how I eat

Miss C

May 18, 2003
New York
You don't have to cook a big meal to cook. Sometimes I go for a nice salad option or just a baked sweet potato if I'm feeling lazy, but I'm enjoying trying out new things and getting to grips with different flavours etc.

Before NY, this is something I never realised about you. And also something about me.... I thought I had a bit of a sweet tooth at times but you lurve a birrov desert!! :)

Extravagant salads are my absolute speciality!!!

Like I said I try to avoid a 'meal' of any sort in the evening, and just have fruit or something since I eat out at lunch - an evening dinner just doesn't ever sit well with me, especially since a. i'm a snacker/grazer and b. I wouldn't normally get home until 8-9pm....do not need that kinda extra weight!! I wouldn't eat potato at night either when watching my weight.

Oh 'll show you sweet tooth hehe ;) if i have any left! :mad: