Bpm

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

static

Jan 16, 2006
Atlanta Georgia
www.mixcloud.com
I have thousands of records and every single one is BPM'ed. I like to move all over the place when I'm mixing. I have so many transition records that change tempo. Just because you know the BPM of two records doesn't mean they are going to mix themselves. I've never used a BPM counter while I'm mixing, but I do not want grab five records to see if they will mix in without pinning the pitch control to +8. I usually don't mind to pitch a record up but I don't think it sounds to good if you go below -2, with a few exceptions.
If all you play is one style you probably don't need to, but I have all kinds of downtempo, Jungle, hip hop and all points in between. I think it is ridiclulous to call it cheating. I think it is slack if you don't know the tempo of your records beginner or not.

sirius

Registered Member
Dec 28, 2001
I had a laspse of what the hell everyone was on about for a moment there :rofl:

When you said it would be helpful to label up the records so they are easier to mix, and people on about beat counters etc, I thought you meant that you reckoned it would be easier to beat match two records if you knew the static tempo (where the strobe is still)..........but that left me going :S cos what would knowing the speed matter when you have a variable speed deck? For example, I may have a tune at 124bpm and a tune at 134 in its natural state, but if I whang them on the decks in a mix, I still have to work out which is playing fastest and slowest cos the pitches are already tweaked for the records thats been mixed before!!! LOL. Therefore, just cos one record says 124 on it, and the other says 134 doesnt mean to say that if its 'sledging' that that tune is the one to slow down, cos you may have the 124 one playing at 135bpm......

But then, I realised youre on about 'general' speeds, ie 808 State Pacific state being 'slow' per se, and Rhythm Eclipse - Feel it in the air, as being fast, and that would need to be slowed down and the 808 sped up :axe:

Does that make sense? :rofl: Is that what youre on about?

I must be blessed, cos I simply hear a record and compartmentalise the tune in about 2 seconds, and I remember that. :cool: . I can just pick tunes and be within about 3% generally.

Sirius