Birmingham..............

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

Markz

As the board is mostly northern based due to butty and now Hazy, Goodtimes etc I was just wondering who went to the following clubs in Birmingham as they were certainly places that I just completely buzzed off for various reasons and I did see a thread that has bought me to post this:

1. Hummingbird: Correct me if i`m wrong but it was probably the 1st rave club in the midlands and was the 1st club that i went to that i thought whooooooa gwannnnnnnn this is it! 88` i Think. Lee Fischer and Jock were the Dj`s.

2. C.R.E.A.M. : Nothing to do with the Liverpool connection but think it started in `90, abbreviation stood for "Choose Right Easy And Mellow", it was the most underground club i`ve ever seen in UK like a dungeon in a place called Hockley near to where Wobble and then Moneypennys opened up.

Atmosphere was out of this world if not a little surreal at times, Where Scott Bond made his name really, bongo`s and even the odd freak or 50 etc. :hubba:

Anybody else witness the above?? :crazy:

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
I lived in Brum 92-95 and was a regular at Crunch, occasional to Wobble, SLAG at the steering wheel and various other dirty rave ups!

I never went to CREAM but I do have a tape pack from there from later 96/7 maybe because it was Mark Jarman and someone else. Jarman was the resident at Crunch with Jon Hollis and the pair of them were superb.

Shoom did a bit round Brum as well, no doubt he'll chip in!

Konspiracy

Sep 9, 2002
Was Manchestoh, Now Yorkshire
Not been to either of those but one of the best venues Ive been to was down your way Mark, The Engine House, summer 93 saw Norman Jay and Sasha there..

Top summers day, top tunes, great atmosphere, loads of fit women, couldnt ask for more :D ;)

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
OldskoolDazed (al) said:
Wasnt that the water pumping place on side of the canal wolverhampton sure i went there for a money pennies bash

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thats the Canal club, still there now doing lame funky house type nights though I have had some good nights there in the past :)

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
Markz said:
As the board is mostly northern based due to butty and now Hazy, Goodtimes etc I was just wondering who went to the following clubs in Birmingham as they were certainly places that I just completely buzzed off for various reasons and I did see a thread that has bought me to post this:

1. Hummingbird: Correct me if i`m wrong but it was probably the 1st rave club in the midlands and was the 1st club that i went to that i thought whooooooa gwannnnnnnn this is it! 88` i Think. Lee Fischer and Jock were the Dj`s.

2. C.R.E.A.M. : Nothing to do with the Liverpool connection but think it started in `90, abbreviation stood for "Choose Right Easy And Mellow", it was the most underground club i`ve ever seen in UK like a dungeon in a place called Hockley near to where Wobble and then Moneypennys opened up.

Atmosphere was out of this world if not a little surreal at times, Where Scott Bond made his name really, bongo`s and even the odd freak or 50 etc. :hubba:

Anybody else witness the above?? :crazy:

These were before my time, the hummingbird had shut down by the time I started going out, I remember seeing something on midlands today about some lad dieing there and I think it shut shortly after that?

Most of my clubbing was done round wolves rather than brum though we did venture over to wobble and a few other places occasionally... What was that underground venue in hockley, there's still a place there called the boiler rooms which is in a basement, the main club room is just higher than your head and the sound is ace in there - proper underground vibe :thumbsup: Wolverhampton on the other hand is totally devoid of decent venues these days :(

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
theres a place I think in Redditch that's in the middle of nowhere by a canal over looking loads of fields. There used to be a night a Bham Uni called Bliss, and it started 9-2 at the steering wheel in Chinatown and then we all got on a bus mullered and got driven out there. That fits the description.

It was a wicked do, I remember there was a full moon on the bus trip and you saw the sun coming up over all these fields at 4 the next morning.

It was so hot in there water used to drip off the ceiling!

Markz

Ed said:
I lived in Brum 92-95 and was a regular at Crunch, occasional to Wobble, SLAG at the steering wheel and various other dirty rave ups!

I never went to CREAM but I do have a tape pack from there from later 96/7 maybe because it was Mark Jarman and someone else. Jarman was the resident at Crunch with Jon Hollis and the pair of them were superb.

Shoom did a bit round Brum as well, no doubt he'll chip in!

Went to all the above but SLAG more than the others was great when legs 11 opened up downstairs for a bit of lap dancing between the tunes (cheers Sidney) Remember Chris who did the guest list? Now that is a large tranny!

Konspiracy said:
Not been to either of those but one of the best venues Ive been to was down your way Mark, The Engine House, summer 93 saw Norman Jay and Sasha there..

Top summers day, top tunes, great atmosphere, loads of fit women, couldnt ask for more :D ;)

Yes Neil many a top day out there its in a place called Bromsgrove had some great line ups there considering it was only a country pub really and was spot on in the summer as u said totty galore :thumbsup:

Ed

Aug 1, 2002
London
Markz said:
Went to all the above but SLAG more than the others was great when legs 11 opened up downstairs for a bit of lap dancing between the tunes (cheers Sidney) Remember Chris who did the guest list? Now that is a large tranny!

Yes Neil many a top day out there its in a place called Bromsgrove had some great line ups there considering it was only a country pub really and was spot on in the summer as u said totty galore :thumbsup:

That's the one Bromsgrove.

I do remember the big tranny. Massive. Do you know Kevin Trainor or the Old Skool Dayz guys who set the record shop up?

Jiglo

Mar 21, 2005
Wigan
I went to Rennaisance at Moneypennys (or was it the other way around) near the bullring. Sasha was djing and State Of Grace did her first ever PA :)

I had one of my best nights out in Birmingham in 92.

I was supposed to go to this big night at the Eclipse, but it got moved to The Institute. When we got there the queue was massive, but at the time I was mates with a big mean hard looking guy with a skinhead and no teeth lol!! (he was a sweetie tho) but you wouldnt mess with him lol!! So we pushed our way to the front, as soon as I got in (after having a female bouncer put her hand down my knickers to search me :eek: :| ) I heard the belting sounds of Energy Flash so I knew it was going to be a good night :drum: :D

I cant remember who was djing and I think there was a PA too, but I was a bit worse for wear lol :rolleyes: :fekked: but it was one of the best nights I ever had :thumbsup:

I would love to go to a hardcore night in Birmingham, cos I believe they have them a lot, so if anyone knows of any let me know :thumbsup: ;)

Northern Star

Staff member
May 10, 2004
On Cloud 9!!!
sweet sensation said:
I would love to go to a hardcore night in Birmingham, cos I believe they have them a lot, so if anyone knows of any let me know :thumbsup: ;)

Me and Dan will find out if anything is goin on hun id be interested to go myself like...as long as there were no bloody mc's but i could put up and shut up for a night :thumbsup:

Mike

Jun 21, 2002
I've not been to retrobution yet (it was on the same night as hazy) but I went to the last 'Not Forgotten' which is run by the same people in the same venue... only a little bar to be honest (OC's in digbeth, next to the sanctuary which some of you will remember as the institute!) Last time I went Pilgrim played a blinder and there was also a DJ set from Man Parris which was rather good. Small venue but great crowd and top atmosphere :) I believe there is one on this friday with Daz Willot playing (won't be going though as I'm away for the weekend).