Any tape decks similar to Technics 1210s?

Welcome to Old Skool Anthems
The Old Skool Resource. Since 1998.
Join now

wallabyFC

Aug 17, 2013
www.oakenfoldmixes.com
Hey everyone,

Let me clarify that. Are there any tape decks that are solid and built like a tank? Similar to how Technics 1210s are the go to choice for vinyl turntables? Those were always built like a tank and could play practically anything, even if the record was warped.

I ask because there’s gotta be some top quality ones that have a strong motor that won’t waver in speed and have a solid azimuth setting. Seems like lower end quality ones would always divert from the proper speed and azimuth settings shortly after being set. I’m looking for something solid where I don’t have to worry about that.

Must have over 100 Oakenfold tapes, probably more, and I want to give them the proper treatment when I start recording them again soon.

Btw when I used to DJ many years ago, I had Stanton turntables, not direct driven, and I was ALWAYS having to ride the pitch to keep records on beat during the transitions. Looking to avoid that kind of hassle when I record with a better and more solid tape deck.

Many thanks everyone! Looking forward to learning more about recording tapes again.

Eric
OakenfoldMixes.com

Ming The Merciless

VIP Silver Member
Jan 21, 2022
Staffordshire
If you have deep pockets the Nakamichi Dragon is about as good as you can get sound wise, but good luck finding one that is working, and it will be bloody expensive!

or if you want something built this century try the Teac W1200 you can still buy those brand new (y)

Ruffenuff

Nov 3, 2021
I've got stanton DD decks atm....cheap as chips...gotta say they can take a beating like 1210s...soz can't help with the cassette thang